Technology (Sunday)
Business (Monday)
Arts & Ent (Tuesday)
Health & Lifestyle (Wednesday)
Sport (Thursday)
Travel (Friday)
Food (Saturday)
Get the latest news from Channel 2 courtesy of Jerusalem Online
Kol Israel International
SomethingJewish
DailyJews
JewishJokes
SomeoneJewish
Jewish.net
JewishReunion
JewishSingles
JewishDating
JewishBlogging
Points of Jew
Jewish PR Blog

PRINT THIS PAGE
EMAIL THIS TO A FRIEND
Israel loves chocolate by: Yehudit Yahav
FILED UNDER SOMETHINGISRAELI >> Food

Chocolate
Chocolate

A survey carried out by the Dun and Bradstreet business information company ahead of the Rosh Hashana holiday found that Israelis consume an average of 3 kilograms (6.6 pounds) of chocolate per capita per year.

The past five years has seen a 100 percent increase in the per capita chocolate consumption, the study found.

The study also revealed that Israelis eat twice as much chocolate in the winter months as in the rest of the year.

D&B economists said the increase in chocolate consumption resulted from the increasing number of chocolate products on the market, as well as the entry of new competitors into the market.
 
In 2005, about 68 percent of purchased chocolate was bought from chain supermarkets, while the remaining 32 percent was bought from specialty shops, kiosks and gas stations.

Individually wrapped chocolate snacks constitute 50 percent of sales, chocolate bars account for 25 percent, chocolate spreads for 15 percent and gift boxes of chocolate for 10 percent.

According to statistics, Switzerland is the largest per capita consumer of chocolate, eating 10 kilos of the cocoa confection yearly. Although Israel trails behind the Swiss standard, it far surpasses the Chinese, who eat a mere 50 grams of chocolate per year. According to the Hershey food co., American eat roughly 4.7 kilograms of chocolate each year.

Reproduced with permission: Ynet



SomethingIsraeli.com © 2005 - 2006 | a JMT Ventures site | Contact Us | Terms of Use